Saturday, June 27, 2009

Designer: Zareena Yousif

Zareena Yousif is a designer based in the UAE who creates beautiful evening gowns and jalabiyas. She opened her store Fasateen in Dubai in 1995 and has since become one of the most popular designers in the Gulf. Her dresses are intricately embroidered and are a real work of art.
She manages to combine traditional handiwork with modern silhouettes to produce really unique garments.

"I love my embroidery techniques to be very ethnic, so I take them from different cultures and countries. I use badla (silver and gold threads) studs. I use very ethnic types of material when I do a motif on a piece. It can be very difficult to balance it with the chiffon I use, because the embroidery is heavy. It takes a very long time to do."




These are a few screen shots of her beautiful designs from her website http://zareena.ae/